- Key safety topics
Key safety topics
We are guided in our inspection activities by our topic strategies as well as the outcome of our previous year’s work and any emerging issues. The topic strategies enable us to plan our inspection activities in accordance with our commitment that the inspectorate’s activities will primarily be driven by risk and the likely effectiveness of the intervention.
Within this section you will find all the topic strategies covering the period 2006–2009. In addition you will find general information about a range of worker and infrastructure safety. We then list our infrastructure strategies which cover the period 2006-2009.
In this section you will find general information on how to keep rail workers safe.
This information is based around the actual infrastructure of the network, and how it can be made safe.
We list below our key topic strategies which have been carefully selected. At present, the strategy documents for level crossings, human factors and safety management and risk assessment have been temporarily withdrawn while undergoing revision. We have identified operational policies, strategic aims for ensuring that risks associated with topics are properly managed by duty holders.
- Employee safety ( PDF 105 Kb).
- Command control signalling ( PDF 93 Kb).
- Level crossings ( PDF 92 Kb).
- Track including switches & crossings ( PDF 120 Kb).
- Occupational health ( PDF 56 Kb).
- Tractions supply systems ( PDF 76 Kb).
- Railway operations ( PDF 116 Kb).
- Rolling stock ( PDF 81 Kb).
- Route crime ( PDF 81 Kb).
- Station safety ( PDF 89 Kb).
- Structures ( PDF 88 Kb).
- Vehicle & animal incursion ( PDF 77 Kb).