- Licence exemptions
Where a proposed operation falls within the scope of the Railway (Licensing of Railway Undertakings) Regulations 2005, you will need to apply for a licence and/or SNRP. We cannot grant exemptions under these regulations.
We may grant exemptions from the obligation to hold a licence under the Railways Act 1993. The Railways Act 1993 enables the Secretary of State to grant exemptions to a particular class or description of persons as well as to individual applicants.
We are only able to grant exemptions to individual applicants, although these may be in respect of particular specified assets or classes of assets.
All copies of licence exemptions granted by us are on our public register. Electronic copies of current exemptions are available for download as Adobe Acrobat PDF files from the pages linked below.
Abbreviations for terms used describing licence exemptions listed in this section:
- LMD: a light maintenance depot where services such as refuelling and cleaning trains takes place, and other frequent light maintenance work.
- Heritage: an operation primarily used for tourist, educational or recreational purposes of non-mainline passenger services and assets, usually on a preserved railway line.
- Network: a railway line or combination of lines and installations. Licence exempt networks are usually functionally separate from the national network. Usually they will also be operated within a fenced or controlled access territory. This includes freight sidings or goods terminals.
- Contractor: a rail maintenance company which undertakes track maintenance and repair, usually on behalf of Network Rail. Maintenance activities take place within engineering possessions using specialist or Rail Mounted Maintenance Vehicles (RMMVs).
- Non-passenger trains: freight or maintenance trains. In the context of exemptions, this would include short distance, non-mainline shunting operations in specific areas.
Last updated: October 2012
- A more focused approach to licence exemptions: conclusions ( PDF 242 Kb).
- Licence exemption application form ( DOC 132 Kb).
- Non-passenger train licence exemption ( PDF 34 Kb).
- Light maintenance depots licence exemption ( PDF 54 Kb).
- Licensing guidance - applying for a licence or licence exemption ( PDF 2083 Kb).