- Accident & incident investigation
Accident and incident investigation
Safety is a fundamental issue for the rail industry ensuring that both workers and passengers are protected. Our regulatory powers require us to investigate breaches of health and safety legislation.
Details of how our inspectors carry out their investigations.
RAIB make recommendations addressed to ORR, which has the role of National Safety Authority.
Here you will find a summary of the most significant incidents involving trains.
This provides information on how members of the rail industry should report serious incidents to us.
Last updated: June 2012
- Significant incident procedures manual ( PDF 138 Kb).
- Reporting of serious incidents to ORR ( PDF 37 Kb).
- ORR investigation process ( XLS 163 Kb).
- HSL Review of RAIB investigations and recommendations 2007 ( PDF 322 Kb).