- Press notices
ORR appoints Alan Price as Director of Railway Performance
14 November 2012
The Office of Rail Regulation (ORR) today announced that Alan Price has been appointed as its Director of Railway Performance.
Alan is currently Rail Division Infrastructure Director at FirstGroup. He will bring to ORR a wealth of railway engineering and operational experience both from his role at FirstGroup and from former appointments at London Underground, Metronet, and Bechtel. Additionally, Alan has recently played a significant role supporting the work of the Rail Delivery Group.
Welcoming the appointment, ORR’s Chief Executive, Richard Price said:
"I am delighted that Alan Price is joining us at this crucial time for the rail industry. Alan will bring to ORR very substantial railway experience, and a deep understanding of the issues facing the industry, particularly on asset management and infrastructure delivery.
"As Director of Railway Performance, Alan Price will play a key role in influencing the shape of the industry and its priorities for years to come, helping to drive a step change in whole industry performance and efficiency for the benefit of taxpayers, passengers and freight customers who rely on Britain’s railways.”
Commenting on his appointment, Alan Price said:
"It is a great time to be joining ORR. I look forward to working with Richard Price and the whole team at ORR helping to deliver its strategy for the UK rail industry.
"ORR will need to use all its influence and powers if we are to provide the framework that will incentivise the greater cross industry collaboration required to deliver the necessary improvements in efficiency, performance, infrastructure management, and safety across the whole sector."
Notes to editors
- The Office of Rail Regulation is the independent safety and economic regulator for Great Britain’s railways.
- Alan Price was appointed as Rail Division Infrastructure Director at FirstGroup in March 2011. In this role he was accountable for all infrastructure elements of both existing and future FirstGroup train operating franchises.
- Prior to this he worked for Bechtel as part of its team bidding for a major rail contract in Istanbul, Turkey.
- Between 2008-10 he served as Head of Engineering and then Director of Projects at London Underground where he was responsible for the delivery of all London Underground’s track, civils and station capital projects.
- From 2006-2008 he worked for Metronet Rail in a number of senior roles including Senior Vice President, Asset Management and Engineering.
- Prior to this he worked for Bechtel on the West Coast Modernisation Project on a two-year secondment to Network Rail and on the Channel Tunnel Rail Link.
- Alan has a first class BSc degree in Topographic Science from Swansea University and an MSc in Engineering Surveying from University College London. He is a Fellow of the Institution of Civil Engineers.
- Alan Price is appointed to the ORR Board for four years from November 2012. Under the Railways and Transport Safety Act 2003, appointments to the ORR Board are made by the Secretary of State for Transport.